Founder & President, International Maritime Environmental & Safety Associates (IMESA)
Durham, New Hampshire
As founder and president of IMESA, Mr. Croot has over 25 years of experience in the fields of marine safety, environmental protection, and international regulatory compliance and enforcement.
He retired from the U.S. Coast Guard in 2011 as Chief of the Environmental Standards Division where he developed a wide variety of environmental regulations including ballast water management, control of marine debris, and dry cargo residue.
He also administered the Coast Guard’s innovative Shipboard Technology Evaluation Program (STEP) which has facilitated the development and installation of effective ballast water treatment technologies. Gary led and participated in numerous Congressional briefings focusing on the intricacies of ballast water regulation and legislation and served on joint panels with representatives of the EPA’s Office of Water.
- Alternate Head of the United States Delegation to the Marine
Environmental Protection Committee (MEPC) of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and member of U.S. Delegation to the Bulk Liquids and Gases (BLG) Subcommittee.
- Responsible for the drafting, development, and implementation of the U.S. Coast Guard’s Ballast Water Regulations including the establishment of the ballast water discharge standard and the type approval process.
- Senior Coast Guard representative to the Environmental Protection
Agency during the development of the Vessel General Permit and the USCG/EPA Memorandum of Understanding for compliance monitoring and enforcement.
- Captain of the Port / Officer in Charge, Marine Inspection / Federal On-Scene Coordinator / Federal Maritime Security Coordinator for Western Lake Superior, including Duluth / Superior harbor, the largest port in the Great Lakes.
- Alternate COTP/OCMI/FOSC/FMSC for Western Florida, Alabama and Mississippi, including Acting Captain of the Port during Hurricane Ivan.
- Veteran Coast Guard marine safety professional possessing more than 20 qualifications in the fields of marine inspection, port safety and security, and environmental protection and response.
Past & Present Affiliations
- Great Lakes Ballast Water CollaborativeAquatic Nuisance Species Task Force
- Green Marine – Great Lakes Environment Committee
- Advisory Board Member, Great Lakes Marine Research Institute
- Duluth Propeller Club