Senior level entrepreneur with strong background in project management, marine
transportation, logistics, and related operations functions. Emphasis on team building,
workflow development, and leveraging efficiencies to achieve optimal business
Insurance Advisor & Risk Consultant 2010 to 2015
Producer, Lykes Insurance
Responsible for establishing brand and opening new office in Coral Gables, Florida while
capturing market-share for this established, family owned Property & Casualty insurance agency
based in north Florida; created de novo Book of Business based on +$50,000 per year organic
growth, in new lines of business, namely Marine coverages, and leveraging existing niches such
as Workers Compensation, Financial Institutions, or Agribusinesses.
• Analyzed prospective clients’ risk management needs and current insurance coverages to
customize insurance proposals, identifying gaps and overlaps, enabling best business
practices to mitigate claims severity and frequency, assuring business continuity, creating
value by increasing limits or reducing premiums.
• Developed and implemented procedures to improve collaboration across all stakeholders,
creating effective reporting workflows, serving mutual interests of client, agency and/or
carriers, strengthening safety cultures.
• Developed profiles of carriers’ preferred client classes, insurance offerings, and
submission guidelines, leading clients to carriers meeting their risk management needs at
the most favorable cost of coverage.
• Advocated for and guided clients through the claims process, ensuring successful, and
timely claims resolutions.
Real Estate Investor 2003 to 2009
Coral Gables, FL
Create diversification and investment ventures focused on quality, niche-oriented real estate
developments within mature urban and resort communities in south Florida and western North
• Managed real estate projects, establishing realistic deliverables, phases, and life cycles
and completing all projects under budget and on time.
• Selected and developed project team members, ensuring that they have ideal motivation,
skills, and cultural fit for their roles.
• Assembled real estate development master plans, ensuring best long-term use of property
from all stakeholders’ perspectives, placing conservation easement on property to enable
low-density growth, and generating tax savings for owners while sustaining old growth
• Solicited project tenants, achieving synergistic mix of tenants and 90% occupancy,
offsetting project costs by continuing current land usage, entitling long term
development, and reducing carry-cost and project expenses.
• Earned trust of city and county officials, securing essential real estate development
entitlements, challenging architecture team to utilize traditional, theme-specific designs,
and increasing usage of an urban project by 40%.
• Provide strategic leadership, shaping strategy, creating strategic advantage, and
championing change and innovation.
Inchcape Shipping Services 1994 to 1999
Managed the south Florida ports of call representing a multitude of principals and their ocean
going vessels for the world’s largest independent agency network.
• Rebuilt operations structure, work processes and staff, growing annual profit from zero to
• Led operations turnaround, building a high self-esteem, high performance organization,
recreating the company brand, and restoring market position.
• Developed creative strategic and tactical plans, integrating new and dynamic business
practices, ensuring innovative workflows, and reducing operating costs by more than
• Managed implementation and integration of corporate policies and practices,
implementing I.S.O. 9001 management system standards, earning local certification,
defining procedures and workflows, achieving high customer satisfaction and retention,
and ensuring corporate uniformity.
• Restored and expanded vendor relationships, providing journeymen and sub-contractors
to meet customer needs and integrating them into the company team.Education & Professional Development
Education & Professional Development
Life and Variable Annuity Insurance License 2014
Certified Marine Insurance Professional designation 2013
Commercial Casualty Institute program 2011
Society of Certified Insurance Counselors
Association of Ship Brokers and Agents, Annual Cargo Conference 2011 to 2014
Greater New Orleans Barge Fleeting Association 2011
River and Marine Industry Seminar
Ft. Lauderdale Mariner’s Club Marine Insurance Seminar 2010 to 2015
National Association of Corporate Directors
American Association of Bank Directors Workshop 2010, 2013, 2014
General Lines, Property & Casualty Insurance License 2010
Certified Commercial Investment Manager Institute 2006 to 2009
Candidate for membership
Association of Ship Brokers and Agents 2004
Principles of Ship Chartering
Washington & Lee University 1992
Bachelor of Arts, European History
United States Merchant Marine 1991 – 1992
Community Involvement & Interests
• Propeller Club of the U. S., PortMiami, President 2014 – 2015 Member since 1995
• Washington & Lee University Alumni Representative 2005 to Present
• History Museum of South Florida 2003 to 2008
• Nature Conservancy 2000 to 2006